THE PHOENICIAN GOLF CLUB REOPENS AFTER A COMPLETE TRANSFORMATION
After a ten-month renovation, The Phoenician Golf Club reopened on November 1, 2018 debuting a brand-new course, designed by Golf Course Architect Phil Smith.
“The new Phoenician Golf Club will be a tremendous experience for golfers,” said Smith. “While challenging, everything will be in front of the golfer – no surprise bunkers or blind hazards. Players will have the opportunity to make an informed decision on how to approach each shot.”
The iconic course previously featured three, 9-hole offerings, each with a different profile, creating 27 separate holes of play. Now, the course will offer one, 18-hole experience with a natural rhythm and flow. During the redesign, no hole went untouched, utilizing existing fairway corridors in the rerouting of the course.
Fast Facts For Players:
- The redesigned and rerouted course plays to a par of 71 and offers four sets of player-friendly tees ranging from 4,594 yards from the forward tees to 6,518 yards from the championship tees.
- All tees and bunkers were repositioned to provide the best strategy for each player’s skill level.
- The new putting surfaces allow for additional pin placements.
- The rerouting of the golf course allows for a more contiguous pattern of play, tightening up distances from greens to the next tees and creating an even more enjoyable experience for golfers.
A New Look:
- Water features were reshaped and renovated.
- Fairways were recontoured.
- The cart path system was rebuilt for a smoother navigation experience.
Old vs. New – Comparing the Courses:
- The new 9th hole, previously Desert No. 3 and Oasis No. 8, is a long, downhill dogleg left par 4. The approach shot is a peninsula-shaped green that is well-protected by a lake and greenside bunkers.
- The new 16th hole, formerly Desert No. 9, has a lower elevation than the previous hole, providing more expansive Sonoran views from the main Camelback Road resort entrance.
Going Green on The Green:
- Going from 27 holes to 18 holes, turf usage was reduced by approximately 45 acres.
- Every green was rebuilt and resurfaced with new hybrid Bermuda grass.
- A new highly-efficient irrigation system was installed.
- The combination of turf reduction and the new irrigation system efficiencies will lead to increased water conservation.
- New Club Cars feature leather upholstery, embroidered with the Phoenician logo.
- Touch-screen displays with “Shark Experience” innovative technology allow golfers to stream music via Slacker Radio, as well as live sports, highlights, news and entertainment. Each cart also has Bluetooth capability, allowing players to sync their phones and listen to their personal music selection.
- The displays also offer Greg Norman golf tips and specialized GPS to show the current hole statistics and dynamic yardage information based on where the cart is located on the course.
THE GOLF CLUBHOUSE
Additionally, the Golf Clubhouse, including the pro shop, locker rooms and 19th Hole restaurant, also received a redesign. All new interiors adorn the pro shop, including new carpeting, fixtures, displays and lighting. Guests will delight in choosing from a wide selection of newly designed Phoenician golf attire, equipment and accessories. In the locker rooms, new flooring, seating, lighting and lockers bring a modernized look and feel to the area. Finally, the 19th Hole is sporting a fresh design with a white marble countertop, new exterior embellishments and a brand-new contemporary menu of upscale, casual bites.
Coming in 2019, The Phoenician Tavern, located above the Golf Clubhouse, will debut, replacing Relish Burger Bistro. This new gastro-pub-style restaurant will feature a modernized design with all new interiors, an enlarged bar and an enhanced patio with roll-away garage-style doors for a seamless indoor-outdoor experience. The menu will offer a variety of upscale bar food favorites, including the popular gourmet burgers.
Paralleling the premiere of the newly redesigned golf course, The Phoenician is also offering Golf Club Memberships. Join today to enjoy the exclusive experience of exceptional golf all year-round.
Annual Memberships include:
- Tee times available year-round, reserved up to 14 days in advance
- Unlimited green fees for the entire year
- $25 cart fee per person
- Unlimited use of practice facilities
- Troon Card rate for accompanied guests (up to 3)
- 2019 Arizona Troon Foursome Card ($829 value), offering preferred rates at participating Troon locations in AZ, HI, CO and international locations
- 20% off golf lessons
- 20% off golf shop merchandise
- 20% off at The Phoenician Tavern, opening Spring 2019, and from the beverage cart (up to 4)
- Complimentary golf handicap and bag storage (based on availability)
- Locker rental for $150 (limited availability)
For more information, please call (480) 423-2449.
The Phoenician Golf Club, including the new Golf Course, Pro Shop and 19th Hole restaurant are open to resort guests as well as the public. Please click here to book your tee time.